Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Your Favourite Super 8 camera?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member tom hardwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 1999
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When the Canon 814 came out (before the E) I thought it THE most handsome boy on the block. The huge dark 1,4 multicoated lens, the build quality that suggested that each camera had been hewn from a solid block, the fold up handle that was in reality a battery compartment and which gave that big flat base plate for tripod mounting.

    Then came the quirky tear-drop shape of the Beaulieus and Bauers and the Germanic simplicity of the Braun Nizos. And weren't the Sankyo range good looking? Bit plastiky though.

    Ah, but then I saw the 1014E. Such clever design originality that gave two switches four options, and neatly colour coded them for analysis. A slow motion button that could be found by feel alone. So too with the fps switch, the on/off switch and the manual aperture switch.

    The huge bright sharp viewfinder with a split image that really worked, max aperture and closest focus notwithstanding. The silky smooth feel to the zoom and focus rings, unmatched in any domestic camcorder to this day. The proper variable shutter for fades that didn't disturb your depth of field settings as lots of other cameras did.

    I could go on. I was tempted by a Nikon R10 once... but the big Canon 1014E was the one for me, trumpeting even their 1218 from 1970.

    tom.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member redrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2001
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i agree about the 1014e viewfinder: when i go back to my panasonic DV cam, i feel like i'm looking at computer game on a matchbox. with the canon, you can really SEE things - better than I can without the camera. (astigmatism IS useful for some things...)

  3. #13
    Inactive Member crimsonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2001
    Posts
    94
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    My first camera was the Bell & Howell Director Series. I bought a Canon 1014E and been in love with the camera ever since.

    The images are incredible - especially when I have time to focus and adjust my aperture.

    My only qualm is the motor noise and the un -ergonomic shape. Though it sounds solid, it is noisy for field recording with my shotgun and DAT. I still love everything else about the camera, viewfinder and lense is the obvious.
    I am waiting for my Nizo 6080 kit smile
    Cant wait - The lens is supposedly compareable to my Canon 1014E and its quieter!
    More ergonomicly correct than 1014E but I like the 'metalic soft block' look of my Canon. I always get compliments from it.

    BTW - Favorite filmstock is by far Plus X from Kodak.
    I am not a fan of the K40 - color is not up to par for my taste.
    Ektachrome is also pretty good- speed is a major selling point.
    I have not tried super8sound filmstocks yet.

    I love Vision 200T the most for projects but not everyday use.

    [This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited May 16, 2001).]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member AlexGfromUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love my nizo 801 macro, it's the best super 8 camera I'll ever want, I can't imagine getting any better image quality without moving onto a 16mm camera. The quality kicks ass.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member AlexGfromUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    By the way, crimsonson, the schnieder kreuznach lenses fitted to all nizo cameras are considered better than the canons. german optics are always great, and the sharpness and detail reproduction of the schnieder lens on my 801 macro is phenominal! smile

  6. #16
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    It's time for a Resolution test!

    In this corner, it' the cornumpherous tag team of the Canon 814 and 1014XLS...in the caddy corner, the indomitable Nizo 801.

    Let the best resolution test win.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The same names seem to keep coming up "Canon and Nizo" maybe we should petition the makers and ask them to restart manufacture of super8 cameras?

  8. #18
    Inactive Member jeffdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would have to say that my favorite is the Eumig Nautica, because it is so much fun to use. There is just something about diving into the water with a Super-8 camera! Not to mention the fact that it is very solid and takes good pictures above and below water.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member jeffdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would have to say that the Eumig Nautica is my favorite, because it is so much fun to use! There is just something about diving into the water with a Super-8 camera. Not to mention the fact that it is very solid and takes great pictures above and below water.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member jeffdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd have to say my favorite is the Eumig Nautica, because it is so much fun to use. There's just something about jumping in the water with a Super-8 camera! It is also a well-made camera that takes good pictures above and below water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •